Title: Pharmacy Technician II Job Summary: The Pharmacy Technician position is responsible for supporting and assisting the operation of the pharmacy department. This position is expected to perform additional job related responsibilities and duties throughout the facility as assigned and/or as necessary and will assist the pharmacist in inventory control of pharmacy stock, do routine clerical duties, (i.e. type memos etc.) bookkeeping duties as required, and other duties relating to the pharmacy. Job Duties: An individual must be able to perform successfully the essential function of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. Pharmacy Technician Duties
- Ensures that patient data and information is accurate when entering prescription data into pharmacy software by reading the prescription; translating prescription information into corresponding system codes; transcribing appropriate prescription data; and creating or modifying patient records
- Supports work of the area by filling prescriptions by retrieving prescription orders; counting, pouring, measuring or weighing medication tablets, liquids and creams; mixing or reconstituting medications as needed , selecting, filling and labeling prescriptions containers; and operating scanning equipment, and/or operating dispensing systems to ensure prescription accuracy.
- Ensures effective customer service by monitoring and resolving problems in the prescription fulfillment process by processing information for third party insurance claims; rescanning illegible images; alerting patients to inventory that is out of stock, partial fills, and the need for providers’ authorizations on refills; and identifying situations requiring pharmacist’s actions and resolution.
- Supports the work of the area by processing customer purchases by operating cash registers and related hardware; approving monetary transactions; and using appropriate procedures for different payment types and items sold
- Supports customer services by communicating and engaging with patients throughout the day in point of sale and in questions related to billing of insurance
- Supports quality and customer services by assist the pharmacist in translating the consultation mandated by board of pharmacy by being able to communicate with majority of patients in the health center in their language.
- Promotes Pharmacy services through interceptions made with patients waiting in the Clinic, and through communications with Providers, Medical Assistants and Front office clerks to ensure our patients are taking advantages of our full pharmacy services.
- Supports the reputation of the department and organization by promoting and maintaining the Pharmacy’s professional reputation and provides patients with pharmacy products and services in accordance with local, state, federal laws, 340B medications program requirements, HRSA and OPA regulations by assisting the pharmacist in the prescription fulfillment process
- Ensures quality by maintaining the pharmacy and its merchandise; stocking and rotating merchandise and supplies from our Vendors, handling claims and returns; answering the pharmacy telephone; processing third party insurance claims; filling prior authorization forms and e-TARs; completing, maintaining and securing paperwork, forms and other documentation.
- Ensures quality when checks out prescriptions from the pharmacy to the customer at pick-up area by verifying patient information according to organization policies and procedures. Marks appropriate prescriptions for pick-up; retrieving prescription bag from will-call bin; scanning security tags; gathering electronic signatures for the health insurance portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) acknowledgement and third party payer, if applicable; and using required files to log sales of restricted Pharmaceutical items.
- Completes work assignments and priorities by using policies, data, and resources; collaborating with managers, co-workers, patients, and other business partners; identifying priorities, deadlines and expectations; carrying out tasks; communicating progress and information; determining and recommending ways to address improvement opportunities; and adapting to and learning from change, difficulties, and feedback.
- Supports the overall organization of the area by handling, moving, and displaying of goods in safe and correct. Reports poor inventory practices and low in-stock levels in assigned area. Uses inventory tools and equipment in safe and correct ways.
- Follows safety and Security guidelines and related Laws and Regulations when handling, storing, and providing Pharmacy goods and records, and When filling prescriptions. Provides correct pharmacy information to patients or refer them to the pharmacist when unable to do so.
- Supports health of patients and organization by ensuring the prevention of drug diversion and fraudulent prescriptions. Monitors pharmacy access and maintains security measures. Reports instances of potential prescription fraud and/or diversion to the pharmacist. Adheres to standard operating procedures for handling controlled substances, removing outdated merchandise, and disposing of trash.
- Ensures that area meets policy and procedure expectations by prohibiting the presence of personal belongings in the Pharmacy.
- Ensures that area meets departmental expectations by keeping the pharmacy neat, clean organized, and clutter free.
- Maintains awareness about the abuse of amphetamine and methamphetamine and other related community health issues.
- Shows care and concern when serving our patients. Asks questions in order to understand patient’s needs. Uses policies and information in order to exceed patient’s expectations. Find and uses the right resources (People, products, tools) at the right time in order to resolve patients requests.
- Listens to others and asks questions to learn and understand what is being asked. Understands and communicates the right information to associates and leaders when they need it. Communicates in a respectful and professional manner.
- Ensures the quality of their work by making sure work is correctly done. Works on top priorities first. Makes a consistent effort to get results. Meets deadlines. Takes action in order to solve problems so work can be completed in a timely manner
- Shows integrity and ethical behavior in all workstations. Reports ethical and compliance issues promptly.
- Supports the organization’s objectives by adapting to changing work demands. Ability to stay focused on work when faced with change or difficulties. Stays open to and learns from assignments and feedback.
- Supports the safety and wellbeing of coworkers by moving through narrow, confined spaces such as stacks of merchandise or supplies, storage areas and closets.
- Works to support the team and organization by agreeing to work varying shifts as required. Required to learn and use the Electronic Health Record and Practice Electronic System and its components. As required by the job functions and highlighted in the Policies and Procedures. These components include NextGen, PMS, QSI and other electronic features, as they are developed and implemented, as applicable to work environment.
- All employees will participate in Patient Centered Health Home Model at Omni Family Health.
Additional Duties Specific to this Job Title:
- This Technician will be the responsible for sending applications for new pharmacies and all related paperwork in communication with the board of Pharmacy.
- This Technician will be sending all applications to Pharmacy insurance Plans and will responding to all their faxes and evaluating their contracts.
- Assist the Pharmacy Administrator and Chief of Operations in the annual recertification with the 340b database.
- Help the Pharmacy Administrator in doing internal audits for (a) health center used medications (b) 340b required audits for in-house pharmacies (c) contract pharmacies for 340b periodic audits.
- Oversee the training process of all pharmacy technicians and ensuring they abide by OFH pharmacy protocols and fulfilling the tasks required by their job description.
- Works closely with OFH Billing Department into matching the Explanation of Benefits (EOB) claims reconciliation to guarantee that all the claims are being paid one by one. And following up with insurance companies on getting the claims billed right if needed.
- Assist patient in open enrollment annual period in choosing best Medicare Part D plan based on their medication usages with the assistance of Affordable Care Act software or any comparable software.
- Support the process of establishing a new pharmacy locations, this position is responsible for setting up the medications, the shelving, and the software under the direct supervision of the Pharmacy Administrator.
- Assists the Pharmacy Administrator in personnel scheduling for all pharmacy technicians. This position receives time off requests and ensures that all locations are adequately staffed. This may include moving and/or rotating technicians based on the needs of the pharmacies.
Additional Functions and Responsibilities:
- HIPAA compliance - Responsible for maintaining abreast of and in compliance with all HIPAA regulations and requirements. Treats all member information confidential.
- Compliance - Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- QA/QI - Participate in QA/QI activities and contribute towards the overall performance improvement of the organization.
- IT - Required to learn and use the Electronic Health Record and Practice Electronic System and its components. As required by the job functions and highlighted in the Policies and Procedures. These components include NextGen, PMS, QSI and other electronic features, as they are developed and implemented, as applicable to work environment.
- All employees will participate in Patient Centered Health Home Model at Omni Family Health.
Minimum Qualifications: EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION:
- Graduate from High School or equivalent.
- Completion of pharmacy technician training program from accredited school.
- Pharmacy Technician License - active and current licensure/certification with State Board of Pharmacy.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in pharmacy setting
- Experience in claims reconciliation, and insurance contracting will be preferred.
- Bilingual preferred. Please note: expressed fluency in second language will be tested up job offer.
- Basic typing skills 45 WPM
- Familiarity with basic office machines e.g., copiers, scanners, etc.
- Intermediate computer skills. Customer service skills within a retail and/or healthcare environment.
Responsible To: Pharmacy Administrator Classification: Full or Part Time Position, Non-exempt