Job Summary: The Chief Medical Officer is part of the Executive Management Team (EMT) and contributes to executive decision making by providing input in areas of expertise. The CMO is responsible for the medical, behavioral health, health education, ancillary and clinical pharmacy services delivered in all Omni Family Health (OFH) sites. This position is responsible for drafting and implementing policies and procedures and leader in physician recruitment and retention, meaningful use, disease management, Patient Centered Health Home and risk management
Job Duties: Responsible for meeting the goals and objectives of the organization by overseeing the delivery of services for the Medical Department. This is achieved by working closely with the Executive Management Team, clinic managers, and other members of OFH’s management team.
- Responsible for development, coordination, implementation of physician services objectives for Omni Family Health.
- Plans and may conduct training programs for new physician personnel and continuing in-service education of the physician personnel.
- Responsible for assessing competencies of licensed physician staff.
- Responsible for the development of clinical protocols and procedures relative to patient care along with ensuring consistency in implementation of those procedures throughout OFH.
- Assures continued adherence to adopted internal and external protocols, policies and procedures.
- Is responsible for ensuring that medical areas at all health centers meet with State, Federal and local license requirements.
- Supports OFH’s QI Program by functioning as point person for clinical chart audits and other clinically related performance improvement activities when requested.
- Provides clinical support to electronic medical records program. This is to ensure EMR training of provider staff.
- Responsible for provider development by ensuring that provider issues and concerns are addressed appropriately. Supervises the work of the medical providers’ staff and works closely with to develop and maintains provider services objectives, standards of practices, provider services manuals and written medical provider job descriptions. Supervises personnel development by planning and conducting orientation programs for new physician personnel and continuing in-service education of the physician personnel. Supports OFH’s commitment to quality by coordinating and ensuring that newly hired physician personnel meet established medical competencies as defined within their particular scope of work.
- Supports staff competencies by assisting and planning educational training programs for physician staff. Additionally, is responsible for assessing competencies of licensed physician staff after receiving training.
- Guarantees that physician staff meet OFH’s expectations to patient-focused care and quality service by ensuring the physician staff adherence of adopted internal and external protocols, policies and procedures.
- Certifies consistency in patient care by ensuring that physician protocols and procedures meet State, Federal and local license requirements and is consistently implemented at all OFH health centers.
- Makes certain that physician area is up to date on processes and procedures by developing new or amending existing protocols to meet changes in service delivery.
- Guarantees OFH’s continued commitment to quality by overseeing general site reviews and inspections. Additionally, is responsible for ensuring that correction of found deficiencies is corrected.
- Supports the QI Program by working closely with the Population Health and Quality of Care Improvement Director in the development of patient service procedures and protocols. Is responsible for the development of protocols and procedures relative to patient care and ensures consistency throughout OFH.
- Supports the organizational improvement goals by collaborating with the Population Health and Quality of Care Improvement Director with overall program planning and development.
- Works closely with Population Health and Quality of Care Improvement Director to support and implement OFH’s QI Program objectives within the medical physician area.
- Supports the QI Program by functioning as the contact when conducting clinical chart audits as requested.
- Supervises training for all physician staff for EMR and supervises implementation upgrades to training.
- Contributes to the team by promoting positive staff interaction, maintains open communication with other programs/departments.
- Attends and actively participates in all meetings (e.g., department meetings, program meetings, employee staff meetings) and other activities as required or assigned.
- Attends workshops/seminars as necessary to increase skills and knowledge to provide effective care, treatment, and/or leadership.
- Supports the overall needs of OFH by working flexible or extended hours when necessary.
- Supports the needs of OFH by traveling to other OFH clinics when staffing needs dictate the need for licensed personnel.
- Demonstrates awareness of, and compliance with, organizational mission and objective of OFH to provide health care access and support services for all members of the community.
- Supports their own staff development by completing the required hours of continuing education each year.
- Supports staff by participating and overseeing the Safety Program in medical areas of operations.
- Participate and oversee grant reporting requirements when necessary.
- Displays a positive, professional and respectful demeanor at all times toward employees, peers, professional contacts, and patients served, maintaining a professional appearance and positive image for the OFHs.
- Maintains confidentiality and respect for information regarding patients and other team members; abides by OFH Rules of Confidentiality and general HIPAA regulations regarding privacy.
- Other work-related duties as assigned by supervisor. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally or in writing.
- Manage and assist with hiring, firing, and evaluation of physician and physician supervisors.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- HIPAA compliance - Responsible for maintaining abreast of and in compliance with all HIPAA regulations and requirements. Treats all member information confidential.
- Compliance - Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- QA/QI - Participate in QA/QI activities and contribute towards the overall performance improvement of the organization.
- IT - Required learning and using the Electronic Health Record and Practice Electronic System and its components. As required by the job functions and highlighted in the Policies and Procedures. These components include NextGen, PMS, QSI and other electronic features, as they are developed and implemented, as applicable to work environment.
- Promotes and believes in OFH mission
- Other related duties as directed by the CEO.
Qualification Requirements: Education:
- A valid California Physician’s License in primary care medicine.
- Board-eligible primary care designation, Family Practice preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Prior work in ambulatory setting preferred.
- Job stability.
- Strong business, as well as medical sense: maintenance of productivity according to DMCHC annual targets and performance levels.
- Bilingual (English-Spanish) preferred.
- Effective oral and written skills, general report writing skills and or RFP writing.
- Telephone courtesy; customer-service oriented.
- Modern office practices and procedures including email.
- Intermediate to expert user computer skills.
- Highly organized.
- History and proven record of effective program/project management.
- Attention to detail and excellent follow-through on work tasks.
- Demonstrates good problem-solving skills.
- Able to track multiple tasks and complete promptly.
- Able to quickly build and maintain rapport with patients and providers of differing backgrounds; team player.