Title: Purchasing Agent
Job Summary: It is the major responsibility of the Purchasing Agent to work with a minimum of direction or supervision to accomplish the duties delegated by the Procurement Supervisor. A Purchasing Agent is responsible for comprehending and adhering to accepted purchasing methods and purchasing policies and procedures of OFH. The Purchasing Agent handles purchasing functions, inventory, fixed assets, storage, and the like in accordance with corporate policies and procedures established in each specific area of disbursements.
It is the responsibility of the Purchasing Agent to conduct all business in accordance first with the policies and procedures of OFH, but if a subject is not covered by those policies and procedures then to act in accordance with the best business purchasing standards as currently practiced or as directed by the Procurement Supervisor.
- Contributes and supports the development and implementation of key department initiatives by effectively communicating with OFH staff members and other departments with whom transactions will be conducted to determine the business and product need of the area and the organization. Expected to effectively convey that information and required information accurately to suppliers/vendors.
- Reviews Purchase requisitions for completeness and clarity. Obtain necessary missing information where required. Diplomatically instruct requisitioners on what data in necessary to obtain good product.
- Responsible for updating the purchase order (PO) Budget and submit purchase requisition (PR) and/or PO to Accounts Payable department according to the Fiscal month end schedule.
- Responsible in assisting other department personnel to determine the most suitable product or service to meet their needs along with considering the objectives of the entire organization.
- Responsible for negotiating and updating agreements and contracts with vendors to ensure that OFH receives the best price and quality product/service.
- Assist the Procurement Supervisor in preparing bid packages and other price checks for all vendors according to expiry date to comply with Federal funding regulations. Obtains the best possible pricing.
- Responsible to prepare the documentation for purchasing and services agreements in accordance with OFH policies and procedures, laws and ensure that the agreement protects this organization’s interest.
- Responsible for the following up and/or tracking of expedited orders to ensure that the orders are delivered as scheduled.
- Responsible for the resolution of discrepancies in orders and expected to negotiate settlements to the best possible long-term advantage of this organization.
- Maintain organized and accurate records of POs that are provided to vendors.
- Review acknowledgements and invoices for agreement with POs and resolve any discrepancies with the supplier to the best possible advantage of OFH.
- Prepares POs or other agreements as necessary and check them for accuracy and completeness before issuing.
- Responsible for following up to assure that the supplies/equipment is received in good condition and in the correct quantity. Including, follow-up or expedite orders as necessary to meet schedules.
- Responsible for assuring that property tags are placed on all new assets purchased and assists with the annual inventory for all sites.
- Supports the work of the team by keeping the Procurement Supervisor informed of all activities or problems and submit reports requested by management.
- Works closely with other team members and provides support due to absences to ensure tasks are completed.
- Various other work-related duties as assigned by supervisor. These duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally or in writing.
- H.I.P.A.A. compliance – responsible for maintaining abreast of and in compliance with all H.I.P.A.A. regulations and requirements. Treats all member information confidential.
- Compliance – Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- QA/QI – Participate in QA/QI activities and contribute towards the overall performance improvement of the organization.
- IT – Required to learn and use the EHR/EOHR (Medical Practice Electronic System) and its components. As required by the job functions and highlighted in the Policies and Procedures.
Qualifications, Education, and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED minimum.
- Four-year college degree in business or similar field is preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in Purchasing or similar work.
- Must have the ability to prioritize responsibilities, work effectively and multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Knowledge of the industry with which he or she deals. That knowledge should include familiarity of major suppliers, economic status of suppliers and the industry, and current and expected developments within the industry.
- Ability to problem solve and present ideas and solutions to issues.
- Knowledge of market and data research.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and self-confidence.
- Knowledge of office practices, systems, and procedures.
- Knowledge in MS Office, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Ability to relate to the public regardless of ethnic, religious and economic status.
- Ability to make informed and timely decisions based on research and data obtained.
- Must be goal oriented, have excellent communication and problem-solving skills, the ability to respond effectively & accurately in a fast-paced environment, and be an overall team player.
- Results-oriented with the ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule during annual fixed asset inventory.
- Self-motivation and initiative to follow-through on daily assignments. Ability to adapt in a cross-functional team environment
- Must maintain highest level of customer service at all times.
- Knowledge of healthcare industry that includes major suppliers are, the economic status of the suppliers and the industry, and current and expected developments within the industry.
Responsible To: Procurement Supervisor
Classification: Full or Part Time Position, Non-Exempt