Job Summary: Under the direction of the Compliance and Business Services Manager and in accordance with OFH policies and procedures, the person in this position will primarily be responsible for the supervision of the Medical Records Department. Overall duties include supervision of medical records staff, day-to-day operations, training, quality assurance, privacy issues and overall maintenance and integrity of patient records. This position serves as the liaison between the Medical Records Department and Omni Family Health centers.
- Assures that all Medical Records staff is trained correctly and implementing Omni policy and procedure
- Hires, trains and on-boards new staff
- Maintains staffing levels to ensure that all eFAX documents are managed within 24 hours and all interdepartmental mailings are managed within 48 hours of receipt.
- Assists with writing, maintaining and implementation medical records standard operating procedures as approved by Omni
- Works in conjunction with supervisor to manage a centralized records approach with some aspects being decentralized at the centers
- Manages the schedule to provide coverage for all hours of operation
- Maintains the chart tracking system, filing patient documents and records in the designated locations. Carrying out preliminary phases of planned record retirement
- May serve as backup at times when staffing levels are low and business needs are not being met. Should be capable of performing all functions within the Medical Records Department
- Performs quality control measures or audits to maintain the privacy and integrity of Omni records. Manage medical records issues and follow-up on requests that are not fulfilled in a timely fashion. Troubleshoot problem areas
- Ensures the payroll process is done in a bi-weekly basis
- Leads training development and maintains certification status as part of the career ladders program
- Coordinates resolution of technical phone and computer problems with IT department and outside vendor
- Works within a team atmosphere to complete some tasks
- Promotes public relations through prompt and courteous service
- Maintains respect for privacy with adhering to confidentiality in all phases of work. Performs all other duties as assigned
- Research appropriate responses to various issues and follow state and federal laws in regards to medical records management and HIPAA
- Maintains relationship with vendors for services
- Attends Center Management Team meetings or other meetings as required
- Maintains a safe work environment and actively enforce Omni’s safety procedures, ensures the staff workstations are ergonomically correct and staff follows requirements for safety practices
- Supervise Medical Records staff. Provide regular meetings, team building, training, and annual evaluation along with other personnel functions
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally either verbally or in writing.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Must be able to project manage.
- Friendly attitude with the desire to work with the public.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple functions.
- Understanding of community based organizations.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and office functions.
- Promote and believe in OFH mission statement.
- Ability to relate to the public regardless of ethnic, religious and economic status.
- Must be willing to work at any Omni Family Health, location, other that the assigned site and be agreeable to work weekends, if so needed.
- Must obtain a Valid California Driver’s License at all times plus proof of insurance, to allow you to be placed in all Omni Family Health clinics if needed.
- HIPAA compliance – Responsible for maintaining abreast of and in compliance with all HIPAA regulations and requirements. Treats all member information confidential.
- Compliance – Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- QA/QI – Participate in QA/QI activities and contribute towards the overall performance improvement of the organization.
- IT – Required learning and using the Electronic Health Record and Practice Electronic System and its components. As required by the job functions and highlighted in the Policies and Procedures. These components include NextGen, PMS, QSI and other electronic features, as they are developed and implemented, as applicable to work environment.
- All employees will participate in Patient Centered Health Home Model at Omni Family Health.
Qualifications, Education, and Experience:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field or high school graduate/GED with a minimum of two (2) years of experience working with medical records or a similar setting can be substituted for educational requirement.
- Certification in medical records is preferred; obtaining certification will be encouraged
- Must believe in health care with dignity for all.
- Must be proficient at public speaking and presenting.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Ability to speak read and write in English and Spanish is desirable.
Responsible To: Compliance and Business Services Manager
Classification: Full time, Exempt position.