Job Summary: The person in this position is part of the team concept in the Center’s health delivery system, which is devoted to the delivery of primary care in an ambulatory setting with emphases on prevention and health maintenance. Assist the RN., LVN, and the clinical staff in performing their duties and carrying on the necessary functions required in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Prepare patient for examination.
- Note brief history or the reason for visit in the patient’s chart.
- Take and record height, weight, and blood pressure, pulse rate, respiration, temperature.
- Assist the clinical staff in completing examination and procedures as instructed.
- Take health history for prenatal and family planning patients.
- Completely fill out lab slips and other forms, when necessary.
- Administer medications and injections as ordered.
- Follow universal precautions to protect self and patients.
- Assist the medical staff in patient education and family planning counseling.
- Collect, assess, and report data for Quality Improvement reports.
- Follow up on referrals in a timely manner.
- Perform CLIA Waived Testing
- Manage and follow up on tracking system for immunizations, pap smears, and breast lumps.
- Stock exam rooms with supplies.
- Complete MA Performance Criteria training sheet.
- Interpret for the clinical staff when necessary, “Spanish/English”.
- Under the direction of the nurse or provider in charge, takes responsibility of medical supplies and cleaning of the medical instruments and equipment.
- Provide HIV/Antibody counseling in accordance with established protocols and in compliance with State and Federal requirements.
- Obtain laboratory samples and complete paper work as ordered by the provider.
- Any other duties or responsibilities the clinical staff may assign from time to time and when the need arises.
- Train new medical assistant staff and extern students about OFH policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Assist with Immunization outreach as requested by the Immunization Coordinator.
- Maintain pharmacy orders and track prescriptions.
- Oversees Medical Assistant staff in all sites and is in charge of scheduling and supervising MA’s in carrying out their duties and responsibilities.
- Coordinates data collection for chronic disease management models (e.g. Diabetes Collaborative, Cardiovascular and Asthma Studies).
- Supervises the tracking of abnormal Pap and Mammograms in each site.
- Supervises QI reporting and ensures compliance by all sites. Attends QI meetings at the request of the QI committee.
- Act as Liaison officer between staff and administration regarding staff development and satisfaction.
- Coordinates annual medical/pharmacy supply inventory in each site.
- Coordinates involvement of the medical assistants in all OFH activities (e.g. Health Fair, Outreach programs, and company functions).
- Aware of safety and OSHA practices.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability and willingness to treat all patients with the utmost kindness and consideration in the most trying situations.
- Friendly personality with the desire to work with the public.
- Ability to handle multi-functions.
- Understanding of community based organizations.
- Promotes and believes in OFH mission statement.
- Ability to relate to the public regardless of ethnic, religious and economic status.
- Must be willing to work at any Omni Family Health, location, other that the assigned site and be agreeable to work weekends, if so needed.
- Must obtain a Valid California Drivers License at all times plus proof of insurance, to allow you to be placed in all Omni Family Health clinics if needed.
- Commitment to the concepts of preventive health care program and team approach to health care delivery.
- HIPAA compliance – responsible for maintaining abreast of and in compliance with all HIPAA regulations and requirements. Treats all member information as confidential.
- Compliance – Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- QA/QI – Participate in QA/QI activities and contribute towards the overall performance improvement of the organization.
- IT – Required to learn and use the Electronic Health Record and Practice Electronic System and its components. As required by the job functions and highlighted in the Policies and Procedures.
- All employees will participate in Patient Centered Health Home Model at Omni Family Health.
Qualifications, Education, and Experience:
- Must have High school diploma or equivalent and have successfully completed and graduated from a medical assistant program.
- Must have a Venipuncture Certificate or equivalent
- Bilingual in English/Spanish may be required
- Four years of experience as medical assistant is required
- Must have a current CPR Certificate
- Must have leadership abilities and demonstrate management skills.
Responsible To: Health Center Nurse
Classification: Full or Part Time Position, Non-exempt