Job Summary: This position is one of the most important functions in the health care delivery system and the first point where contact is made personally or by telephone. The person will receive the patient and direct them to the services needed. Making appointments and making preliminary assessment category of payment for patients are essential before provider can see them.
- Welcome patients as they contact the center personally or by telephone, and explain the services available, existing programs, payment categories, and billing procedures.
- Schedule appointments; direct walk-in patients and emergencies as per established policies and procedures.
- Answer all incoming calls and route them to the appropriate staff.
- Register all patients per registration protocols and collection all documentation and billing information per billing protocol. Ensure proper documentation on route slips and data collection/ documentation.
- Generate route slips for each patient, and assure that all services provided have been checked out properly.
- Reviews and verifies patient coverage of insurance or other agencies and computes the charges to be paid by the patient.
- Collects deposits or co-pays/deductibles prior to the patient being seen by the provider per established policies and procedures. Inform patient of their outstanding balance, collect said balance, and issue cash receipt when monies are collected.
- Balance cash register in accordance with the cash handling policy.
- Assist patients with payment plan per policies and procedures in coordination with Billing Department.
- Work closely with Medical, Dental and Nursing staff to assure smooth patient flow and minimize waiting time.
- Work closely with the health promotion personnel and refer them to patients who did not keep their appointment for follow-up.
- Under supervision, work with various agencies such as “Kern County Welfare Department” in scheduling patients who needed assistance.
- Call and remind patient of his/her appointment.
- Follow up on “no show” patients on a daily basis.
- Communicate patient’s problem/complaint to the Senior MA or his/her designee.
- Assist Senior MA in training any other front office in accordance to the protocols established.
- Other related duties as the job requires.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability and willingness to treat all patients with the utmost kindness and consideration in the most trying situations.
- Friendly attitude with the desire to work with the public.
- Ability to handle multiple functions.
- Understanding of community based organizations.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and office functions.
- Promotes and believes in OFH mission statement .
- Ability to relate to the public regardless of ethnic, religious and economic status.
- Must be willing to work at any Omni Family Health, location, other that the assigned site and be agreeable to work weekends, if so needed.
- Must obtain a Valid California Drivers License at all times plus proof of insurance, to allow you to be placed in all Omni Family Health clinics if needed.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- HIPAA compliance - Responsible for maintaining abreast of and in compliance with all H.I.P.A.A. regulations and requirements. Treats all member information confidential.
- Compliance - Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- QA/QI - Participate in QA/QI activities and contribute towards the overall performance improvement of the organization.
- IT - Required learning and using the EHR/EOHR (Medical Practice Electronic System) and its components. As required by the job functions and highlighted in the Policies and Procedures. These components include NextGen, Healthport, PMS, QSI and other electronic features, as they are developed and implemented, as applicable to work environment.
- All employees will participate in Patient Centered Health Home Model at Omni Family Health.
Qualification, Education, and Experience:
- High school graduate/GED with a minimum of two years of experience in a similar setting.
- Formal training from a vocational school in lieu of the above.
- Ability to relate to patients, through familiarity with medical terminology and triage procedure.
- Must believe in health care with dignity for all.
- Ability to speak read and write in English and Spanish is desirable.
Responsible To: Senior MA, Operations Management Associate
Classification: Full or Part Time Position, Non-exempt