Location: Panama Ln.
Job Summary: The Optician (Optometrist Assistant) will assist patients with frame and lens selection, order lens fabrication, verify lens accuracy after fabrication, and dispense and fit final spectacles to patients. The Optician will also order contact lenses and train contact lens patients as needed. She/he will maintain adequate inventory of frames and trial contact lenses, and do routine maintenance, clerical duties, bookkeeping, and other duties relating to the optical dispensary. She/he will assist with pre-testing of patients, and assist with front-desk duties from time to time, as the need requires.
- Help patients select proper spectacle frames and lenses.
- Complete optical job forms and send jobs to optical lab.
- Verify accuracy and quality of lab work when jobs return.
- Notify patients when a job is ready for dispensing. Notify patients in advance if they will not receive their job in the time expected.
- Complete items 1-4 in a timely manner.
- Maintain all optical jobs and records in an organized and efficient manner.
- Make and keep copies of lab orders in patient’s medical record.
- Maintain frame and trial contact lens inventories, and keep organized and accurate inventory records.
- Check-in, price, and attractively display incoming products.
- Date & initial all product purchase invoices, and send invoices to the accounts payable clerk in a timely fashion.
- Maintain organized and accurate records of all frame and contact lens purchases.
- Keep the dispensary appearance, products and equipment clean, attractive and organized.
- Maintain records of all supplies ordered by Optical dispensary. Order supplies as needed.
- Order contact lenses (CL’s) and check in upon receipt. Send invoices to the accounts payable clerk. Dispense contact lenses to patients. Train patients with proper contact lens insertion, removal and care techniques.
- Properly charge patients for all products and services rendered through the optical dispensary, and accurately post charges to patient accounts.
- Assist the optometrist and optometry staff members as may be required.
- Cooperate and assist in training fellow OFH employees and share information to promote high quality patient care and optical operations.
- Take reasonable steps to avoid loss or theft of OFH property. Do not leave patients in dispensary unattended, close/lock dispensary door if unattended, etc.
- Promote and believe in the OFH mission statement.
- Be able to relate to the public regardless of ethnic, religion, and economic status. Treat all patients with dignity and respect.
Additional Functions and Responsibilities:
- Know, understand, and be in compliance with all HIPAA regulations and requirements. Treat all patient and employee information as confidential.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Participate in Quality Assurance & Quality Improvement activities, and contribute towards the overall performance improvement of the organization.
- Learn and use the Electronic Health Record System and its components, as required by the job functions and as highlighted in Omni Policies and Procedures. These components include NextGen, PMS, QSI and other electronic features, as they are developed and implemented, as applicable to the work environment.
- All employees will participate in Patient Centered Health Home Model at Omni Family Health.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Graduate from high school or equivalent.
- Basic math skills.
- Must have education, training, or experience in the basics of medical/optometric terminology.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in an optical dispensary is strongly preferred.
Responsible To: Optometrist/Chief Medical Officer
Classification: Full Time Position, Non-exempt