Title: Senior Medical Director
Job Summary: The Senior Medical Director (SMD) will provide high-reliability, quality improvement methodology and lead interdisciplinary activities to avoid preventable harm, to continuously improve patient outcomes and experience, and to eliminate waste in health care. They will identify risks and improvement opportunities for patient safety and quality of care. The Senior Medical Director will establish and manage projects and other initiatives to mitigate risks, increase safety, improve the patient experience and provide consultation regarding the infection control program. The incumbent will collaborate with Health plans and other external agencies to understand quality incentives and metrics, then design and implement initiatives to achieve those desired outcomes to improve the health of our communities and maintain a strong financial posture for the organization.
In the role of Senior Medical Director, the incumbent will assist the CMO in management of the Medical Department. This may include serving as Acting CMO when the CMO is unavailable, standing in for the CMO in meetings as needed, travel to other sites to perform management functions. Other management duties as may be assigned by the CMO, including but not limited to assisting and mentoring the Associate Medical Directors and leading the Medical Administrative Team meeting when needed.
Position Responsibilities /Essential
- Serves as the clinical leader for The Joint Commission (TJC) and National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).
- Monitor the appropriateness of patient care using evidence-based medicine outcomes and clinical guidelines
- Prepare, review, and audit data collected for accuracy and completeness
- Collaborate with Associate Medical Director/Clinical Informatics to develop and implement meaningful systems to monitor, manage, measure, and communicate clinical outcomes to staff, physicians and management team members
- Provide coaching and counseling to physicians when needed
- Consult on workflow development to insure quality outcomes
- Develop and lead Quality Improvement teams
- Develop Strategies to clinical quality metrics as an organization
- Work with health plans to identify gaps in care and transition in care and work collaboratively to break down barriers to improve care
- Design and implement strategies for outreach to patients who are high utilizers of the health care systems to reduce emergency room (ER) visits and admissions and engage them in regular consistent team based primary care medical home visits.
- Work with hospitals and Health Plans to identify our patients who have had recent ER and Hospital visits and bring them in the office to close the gap on transition of care issues.
- Maximize the utility of reporting tools to identify gaps in care for chronic disease management and preventative care to proactively manage patients through centralized outreach or on-site huddle reports
- Uphold the Primary Care Medical Home Accreditation Standards to maintain TJC certification throughout the organization
- Assure all deaths and incidents involving clinical care are reviewed for uncovering opportunities to improve care process
- Chair Quality Committee
- Co-Chair Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee with Director of Pharmacy
- Assist with the development of health center-wide performance improvement and patient safety programs annually
- Collaborate with Infection Control Nurse to develop, implement, and evaluate an effective health center wide infection control program annually
- Collaborate with CMO, and COO, and other members of quality team on the organizational Quality Performance Improvement Plan annually
- Serve as clinical leader in TJC preparation team for ongoing tracer audits, intercycle monitoring, and continual preparedness
- Collaborate with CMO to provide appropriate data for the FTCA application process annually
- Participate in the data collection, validation, and analysis of UDS submission annually in collaboration with data analysts and CMO
- Assure the completion of provider annual reviews, including patient satisfaction, peer review, and peer/staff surveys
- Complete Quality review for all providers due for re-credentialing and any quality reviews that occur on a case by case basis
- Serve as clinical quality consultant to training department when making decisions on staff workflows and competency assessments
- Medical consultant to Employee Health Nurse on policy, procedure, and individual case by case discussion on employee health concerns
- Align with Finance/Operations to assure financial incentives are aligned with and promote quality patient outcomes.
- Quality Director (Direct Report)
- Population Health Coordinator (Indirectly through Quality Director)
- Compliance Manager (Indirectly through Quality Director)
- Infection Control/Employee Health Nurse (Indirectly through Quality Director)
- Care Outreach Program Manager (Indirectly through Quality Director)
- This position is the team go-to for change recommendations, process, procedure, and quality improvement
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Perform other duties as requested and assigned by the Chief Medical Officer
- HIPAA compliance - Responsible for maintaining abreast of and in compliance with all H.I.P.A.A. regulations and requirements. Treats all member information confidential.
- Compliance - Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- QA/QI - Participate in QA/QI activities and contribute towards the overall performance improvement of the organization.
- IT - Required to learn and use the EHR/EOHR (Medical Practice Electronic System) and its components. As required by the job functions and highlighted in the Policies and Procedures. These components include NextGen, Healthport, PMS, QSI and other electronic features, as they are developed and implemented, as applicable to work environment.
- All employees will participate in Patient Centered Health Home Model at Omni Family Health.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Graduate of an accredited medical school program
- Board certification in a medical specialty
- California Medical License
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) certification preferred
- Three (3) years of experience in community health center setting
- Completion of annual CME requirements
- Commitment to Omni’s mission, vision and values
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to engage physicians, other medical professionals and support staff and build consensus
- Competency in dealing with people of various cultures and social status
- Substantial experience in using electronic clinical systems
- Working knowledge of information technology, including understanding of best practices and experience successfully implementing health information technology
- Preferred supervisory skills, including clinical mentoring and coaching expertise
- Data analysis and interpretation experience and skills
- Project management background is a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends in health care, especially with regard to delivering health care in a distributed healthcare environment to the underserved in a culturally diverse manner
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of evidence based medicine
- Demonstrable leadership experience and accomplishment in a multi-site health care delivery system
- Experience in developing and implementing operating plans and analyzing both financial and quality data as well as previous familiarity with various physician compensation plans, incentives and contracting arrangements required
- Prior experience must also demonstrate strong leadership skills and the ability to influence collaborate with and motivate others, solid verbal and written communication skills and a thorough understanding of the healthcare industry
- Ability to use Microsoft Office software
- Familiarity with NextGen EHR is helpful
- Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred
- Candidates with interest in advancing medical leadership skills and education preferred
Responsible To: Chief Medical Officer
Job Classification: Full-time, Exempt position